Perkins House in LIVERPOOL, NS, was built for Simeon PERKINS, who came from Connecticut and was one of the town's leading citizens in the late 18th century. Perkins was a merchant, shipowner and a colonel in the militia as well as being a judge and a member of the legislative assembly.
The Barrington Woolen Mill is a typical late-19th-century mill. Established in 1882, the mill operated up to 1962. It is perhaps most notable for its excellent collection of looms, spinning jennies, carding machines and other early mill equipment and machinery.
Many of Nova Scotia's HISTORIC SITES reflect the wealth that was made from the sea; the Fishermen's Life Museum tells the story of the ordinary men and women who made a living from fishing. This historic site in Jeddore Oyster Pond, NS, was built in 1857 by a fisherman, James Myers.
The Canada Science and Technology Museum (prior to May 2000 known as the National Museum of Science and Technology) collects and preserves objects and data relating to scientific and technological history and development in Canada, carries out research, and sponsors exhibits and public programs.
In the early 1970s, the project of a Québec Sports Hall of Fame took shape through the initiative of Carl Schwende, a Swiss émigré who had settled in Québec in 1948. Thus, on June 26, 1973, the Panthéon des sports amateurs du Québec took out its charter.
The university's collection of Canadian art consists of approximately 3000 items. The majority of the collection is composed of modern and contemporary examples in diverse mediums, but with particular emphasis on works on paper. The gallery's exhibition programming is national in scope.
Origins The NMC Corporation owed its origin to many factors, including a desire for more dynamic leadership and to simplify the procedure of reporting to government, but also to augment the role of the museums nationally and thereby attract more funding to the institutions.
Approaching the Gardiner Museum of Ceramic Art, designed by Bruce Kuwabara and his team at KPMB Architects, one immediately encounters an elevated cube cantilevered towards Queen’s Park with fritted-glass windows set back from the building’s elegant limestone facade.