On 17 May 1642, a group of French settlers led by Paul de Chomedey de Maisonneuve and Jeanne Mance established the missionary colony of Ville-Marie on the Island of Montréal. Today, this modest settlement founded in the middle of the St. Lawrence River is Canada’s second largest city and home to nearly half of the province of Québec’s population. A centre of francophone culture in North America, Montréal also enjoys international renown. Through exhibits, images and articles — as well as several Heritage Minutes about influential Montrealers — this collection celebrates the 375-year heritage and history of this important cultural and economic centre.
The town of Creighton dates from the 1930s when the Department of Natural Resources constructed a road from Flin Flon to Amisk Lake. People began to settle along the road, and after World War II a town site was surveyed. The lots were largely taken up by young men returning from the armed services.
The name Pincourt goes back to the days of the fur traders and voyageurs who, on seeing the pine forest which at that time covered most of the western half of the island, described the trees as being rather short and dwarf-like in stature. They called the place Pins courts, that is, "short pines.
Petrolia was originally called Petrolea but its name was changed due to a clerical error. Both its original and current names reflect the discovery of oil in the area. Oil was discovered in 1861 although it was not until 1866 that it was developed. That same year it was incorporated as a village.