Saint-Léonard, NB, incorporated as a town in 1920, population 1343 (2011c), 1352 (2006c).
Saint-Léonard, NB, incorporated as a town in 1920, population 1343 (2011c), 1352 (2006c). The Town of Saint Léonard is a predominantly French-speaking community, named in honour of an early settler, Léonard Coombes. In the late 18th century, Acadians settled this area along the SAINT JOHN RIVER, midway between Grand Falls and Edmundston, but it was not until near the mid-19th century that a large number of settlers arrived.
Agriculture was supplemented by forestry, but since the mid 20th century, farming has greatly diminished. J.D. Irving Ltd operates a softwood sawmill in Saint-Léonard and a hardwood mill a few kilometres northwest of the town at Veneer, an informally-named site. Additional employment is found at the pulp mill in EDMUNDSTON and the food-processing plant in GRAND FALLS. The Madawaska Weavers produce their well-known textiles here in both a central location and as a cottage industry. The town is a border crossing point directly across the river from Van Buren, Maine, and is the site of a regional airport.