Kennedy House is a provincial HISTORIC SITE located just north of Winnipeg on River Road, the old highway that connected the RED RIVER COLONY between LOWER FORT GARRY and UPPER FORT GARRY.
Kennedy House is a provincial historic site located just north of Winnipeg on River Road, the old highway that connected the Red River Colony between Lower Fort Garry and Upper Fort Garry. A number of 19th and early 20th-century houses and other historic sites like St Andrew's Church and Rectory may be seen along the road, which has been declared a "Heritage Parkway".
Kennedy House, built of stone, is one of the largest and best preserved of these early Red River homes. It was built in 1866 by Captain William Kennedy, a Hudson's Bay Company officer and Arctic explorer who led an expedition in search of Sir John Franklin in 1851-52. The house was designated a historic site in 1985 and includes period furnishings, audio-visual displays and a tea room, and is open to the public from mid-May to September.