Wollaston Lake, 2681 km2, elev 398 m, lies in the wooded Shield country of NE Saskatchewan. To the NW it drains via the Fond Du Lac R into Lk Athabasca and the Mackenzie R system; to the NE it drains via the Cochrane R into Reindeer Lk and the Churchill R system. Discovered by Peter Fidler about 1800, it was used by fur traders as a link between the 2 watersheds. It was named in 1821 by arctic explorer John Franklin after the English chemist William Hyde Wollaston.