Wolfville, NS, incorporated as a town in 1893, population 4269 (2011c), 3772 (2006c). The Town of Wolfville is located on Minas Basin, 75 km northwest of Halifax. Once part of the Acadian district of Les Mines (Minas), the site was known as Mtaban ("mud-catfish catching-ground") to the Mi'kmaq, and Mud Creek and Upper Horton to the Connecticut emigrants who settled Horton Township after the deportation of the Acadians. The route of the Post Road (linking Halifax and Annapolis Royal) and the natural harbour encouraged settlement at this site. The name was changed to Wolfville in 1830, in honour of Judge Elisha DeWolf, one of 3 DeWolf second cousins who were among the original grantees in 1761.

With the decline of shipbuilding east of the harbour, Wolfville became a New England-style university town. Established as a Baptist academy (1828) and college (1838), Acadia University (1891) is now nondenominational but closely associated with the Maritime United Baptist Convention. With nearly 50 main buildings and more than 3200 full-time students, it is the main local employer and the cultural, political and recreational centre for the town and its agricultural surroundings.

Founded in 1765-66 and reorganized solely as a Baptist church in 1778, Wolfville Baptist Church has the oldest continuing Baptist congregation in Canada. The easy pace of life in the town has attracted numerous senior citizens and a small counterculture colony. Many descendants of the original New England settlers remain.