Westville, NS, incorporated as a town in 1894, population 3798 (2011c), 3805 (2006c). The Town of Westville is located near the Middle River, 8 km southwest of NEW GLASGOW. Originally called Acadia Village, it was renamed Westville in 1868, 2 years after the Acadian Coal Co discovered coal. In 1868, 3 mines were in operation and a railway was built to join the mines to the INTERCOLONIAL RAILWAY. Coal from these mines supplied ironworks in a nearby town or was shipped elsewhere.

The town's prosperity peaked in 1910, when coke ovens, a coal washer and a brick plant were also in operation. By 1953 the only mine in operation was the Drummond. Demands for Westville coal declined and by 1969 only a little over 100 men were working. Today, most residents work in the nearby towns of New Glasgow or STELLARTON. There is some manufacturing and a small service industry.