Westport, NS, incorporated as a village in 1946, population 234 (2011c), 249 (2006c). The Village of Westport is located at the southern tip of Digby Neck, on the eastern side of Brier Island. It is the most westerly part of Nova Scotia. Originally known as Brier Island Settlement, it was named Westport in 1839 because of its location.

Two New Englanders were its sole occupants until the arrival of LOYALISTS in 1783. Fishing was and remains a principal industry. Today LOBSTER and dogfish SHARK are the species caught. A cod liver oil factory was established in Westport in 1880 and oil was produced until after World War II. On 2 February 1976, the village was hit hard when the Groundhog Day storm slammed into its waterfront.

A memorial plaque in Westport commemorates the solo voyage of Captain Joshua SLOCUM around the world (1895-98) in an 11 m long sloop. Brier Island is quite well known for whale watching and it is popular among bird watchers because of the variety of species of land and sea birds concentrated here during migration. It is also a good place for lapidary enthusiasts to collect agate.