Ursuline Convent

  Ursuline Convent, Québec City. First occupying this site in 1642 under the leadership of MARIE DE L'INCARNATION (who had established a convent first in the lower town in 1639), the Ursuline Sisters gradually (1686-1902) erected this complex of buildings dedicated to the education of young girls. The St-Augustin, Ste-Famille and kitchen wings, the largest surviving pre-1700 structures in Canada, have features characteristic of this early period, such as the steep medieval roofs with 2 rows of dormers, massive chimneys, rubble masonry protected by stucco, or crépi, and segmentally arched windows with small-paned casements.

 Although the original church was destroyed by fire, the Ursulines managed to save the magnificent altarpiece and pulpit carved by members of the LEVASSEUR FAMILY dynasty, 1732-36, a masterpiece that attests to the highly skilled craftsmanship available in New France.