Union Station, Toronto, was designed by architects Ross and Macdonald, Hugh G. Jones and John M. Lyle for the Grand Trunk Railway of Canada and Canadian Pacific Railway. Design commenced in 1913 and construction began in 1914. The building was substantially finished by 1920, but the actual completion took place in 1927. The design and interior details of the building show the influence of the beaux-arts style, which greatly marked N American public architecture of the early 20th century. The building's long façade is divided into 7 sections, and the central portion is distinguished by a long Doric colonnade framed by 2 small projecting porticos. The façade ends in 2 slightly jutting sections with inset pilasters. The ground floor, designed by Lyle, includes a vast hall that contains the ticket windows and various services; it is notable for its huge proportions, vaulted ceiling, materials and colours, and the Canadian inspiration of its decoration.