Tadoussac

  Tadoussac, Qué, Village, pop 850 (2006c), 870 (2001c), inc 1899. Tadoussac is located at the confluence of the SAGUENAY and ST LAWRENCE rivers, 210 km northeast of Québec City. In the Montagnais language, its name means "nipples" or "breasts," from the rounded hills found here.

When Europeans arrived, Tadoussac was already an important trading centre for native peoples of the north and south shores of the St Lawrence. This activity drew European traffickers by the mid-16th century. Pierre Chauvin tried in vain to establish a colony here in 1600, and it was here that Samuel de CHAMPLAIN concluded a first treaty between Europeans and the MONTAGNAIS-NASKAPI (1603). Tadoussac was captured by Sir David KIRKE in 1628 but was returned to France later. A major fur-trading centre from the 17th century on, Tadoussac gained a new and lasting role in the 19th century - forestry and tourism. Chauvin's habitation has been reconstructed. One of the oldest wooden chapels in North America (1647) is found here as well.

Tadoussac is now well known as the central point of SAGUENAY-ST LAWRENCE MARINE PARK and as the southern terminus of PARC DU SAGUENAY. An interpretation centre on marine mammals and whale-watching cruises also attract tourists.