Shippagan, NB, incorporated as a town in 1958, population 2603 (2011c), 2754 (2006c). The Town of Shippagan is located at the extreme northeastern point of mainland New Brunswick. It obtained its name from the Mi'kmaq sepaguncheech, meaning "duck way," the passage between the mainland and ÎLE LAMÈQUE.

The Jesuits operated a mission in the area from 1634 to 1662, and Nicolas DENYS established a trading post there in 1645. Traders and fishermen passing through and using the shores for drying fish reported settlers there as early as 1759. In 1777 there were American privateers in the area. The first permanent settlers, Norman-French from the Gaspé Peninsula, arrived about 1790. Many married ACADIANS were beginning to move into the area around the same time. Early in the 19th century English settlers also took up residence, first as merchants and lumbermen. They came from England as well as from other parts of northern New Brunswick. Fishing and farming were the main activities.

After more than 2 centuries, fishing and fish processing remain the main industries, although after World War II, PEAT bogs began to be profitably exploited. A campus of l' UNIVERSITÉ DE MONCTON is situated at Shippagan. The provincial Aquarium and Marine Centre operates near the fishing harbour, as does a pleasure boat marina. Annually the town holds the Festival des pêches et de l'aquaculture. Also, each summer a youth classical music and performing arts camp is held here. Since 1976 the nearby town of Lamèque (on Île Lamèque) has sponsored the International Baroque Music Festival.