Rankin Inlet, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1975, population 2266 (2011c), 2358 (2006c). The Hamlet of Rankin Inlet is located on the west coast of HUDSON BAY. Named after Rankin Inlet (discovered by John Rankin), on which it sits, the community was established as a mining centre in 1955 by North Rankin Nickel Mines. In 1956 a concentrator was built on the mine property and production of nickel concentrates began the following year. When the mine closed in 1962, the mostly Inuit residents suffered a serious setback.

Today the economy has recovered with a fishery and an Inuit craft industry. The second-largest community in Nunavut, Rankin inlet is also a key government, transportation and communications centre. Mining exploration in the area may once again lead to an operational mine.