Penticton

Penticton, BC, incorporated as a city in 1948, population 32 877 (2011c), 31 909 (2006c). The City of Penticton is nestledbetween OKANAGAN and Skaha lakes in south-central British Columbia.

History

Originally called Phthauntac ("ideal meeting place") and later Pen-tak-Tin ("place to stay forever") by the Okanagan (tribe of the Interior Salish), the site was visited by David Stuart in 1811 and Alexander Ross in 1812 and the brigade trail passed by it 1812-48. The first orchards appeared in the 1890s; the Southern Okanagan Land Co provided irrigation in 1905. A town was formed in 1906. Transportation via rail to Okanagan Landing and stern-wheelers to Penticton had been in place since 1892. The Kettle Valley Ry linked the town to CROWSNEST PASS and HOPE by 1915. TOURISM started with the opening of the Hope-Princeton highway in 1949 and increased with completion of the ROGERS PASS section in 1962. The opening of the Peach Bowl convention centre (1965) firmly established the city's year-round attractions.

Economy

The 2 largest sources of employment are the service industries and trade. Agriculture, forestry, manufacturing, MINING and the retirement industry are also important. Penticton is the largest retail and service centre in the South Okanagan. The wine industry has grown dramatically since the mid-1980s. A good climate, excellent beaches on 2 lakes and expansion of Apex Alpine to a year-round ski resort have increased tourist interest in Penticton.