Oakville, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1857, population 182 520 (2011c), 165 613 (2006c).
Oakville, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1857, population 182 520 (2011c), 165 613 (2006c). The Town of Oakville is located on Lake Ontario at the mouth of Sixteen Mile (Oakville) Creek, midway between Toronto and Hamilton. The site, originally inhabited by the Mississauga, was purchased in 1827 by William Chisholm, a wealthy merchant and politician, and developed as a townsite. The name derives from the local oak-stave industry. Blessed with a good harbour, it became a shipbuilding centre as well as serving an extensive agricultural hinterland. In 1962 Oakville was reincorporated as a town when it merged with 2 townships (Trafalgar and Bronte).
Several buildings have been preserved from the 19th century, including decorous Georgian manses, Victorian follies, the Old Post Office (1835) and Thomas House (1829). The Oakville Museum consists of the restored Chisolm estate, Erchless (1858), and the custom house (1856). An important component of the local economy is the Ford Motor Co plant which was built following World War II. Other manufactured products include rail cars, electric fixtures and electronic, automotive and aerospace components. Two campuses of Sheridan College and the Golf Hall of Fame and Museum are located here.