Founded in 1968 by Professor Neil J. Michaud, Université de Moncton’s Department of Music continues a prominent musical tradition in Acadia, teaching music exclusively in French.

Foundation and Direction

Founded in 1864 in Memramcook, NB, the University St-Joseph became the Université de Moncton nearly a hundred years later, in 1963, when it moved to that city. Neil J. Michaud (born 14 October 1927 in Edmundston, NB) was responsible for establishing a Department of Music, which he directed until 1970. He was succeeded by Brian Ellard (1970–78), Donald Desroches (1978–81), and Martin J. Waltz (1981–87). Waltz was replaced by Claudette Melanson in 1987. Gaston Allaire, who taught at the department from 1967 to 1984, when he was named professor emeritus.

In 1972, the École Notre-Dame-d'Acadie became affiliated with the Université de Monctonas a preparatory music school. The resident quartet, the Quatuor Arthur-LeBlanc, was founded in 1988 and was in residence for many years before moving to Université Laval in 2005.

Programs

The department offers a general Baccalaureate in music and a Baccalaureate in music with majors in music education, performance, and pedagogy, as well as in history, harmony, and counterpoint. Teaching is exclusively in French. In 2013–14, there were 10 regular teachers, many master of music and some 60 students. The main activities featured by the department have been the choir (see Chorale de l’Université de Moncton), the opera studio, the annual percussion concert, and the staff and student concerts. The current director is Monique Richard.