Matheson

 Matheson, Ont, Unincorporated Place. Matheson is located 296 km northwest of NORTH BAY. Originally a fur trading post called McDougall's Chute, its name was changed in 1912 in honour of the Ontario provincial treasurer. Located on the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway (Ontario Northland), it initially served as a supply centre for the surrounding lumbering and agricultural communities. It is widely known for the devastating fire of 1916 that officially claimed 233 lives, although the loss was probably much greater.

In the 1920s and 1930s gold and asbestos mining began in the area. It is still an agricultural centre and more recently tourism has become important.