Leamington, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1890 and as a municipality in 1999, population 28 403 (2011c), 28 833 (2006c). The Municipality of Leamington is located on the north shore of LAKE ERIE, 54 km southeast of WINDSOR. Named after a town in Warwickshire, Eng, it developed in the 19th century as a lake port and market-gardening centre. Tobacco growing was a major industry in the surrounding area, along with canning and food processing. Today it is the site of a large H.J. Heinz Co food processing plant. It is also the gateway to POINT PELÉE NATIONAL PARK. In 1999 the town of Leamington amalgamated with Mersea Township to form the Municipality of Leamington.