Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba, incorporated as a rural municipality in 1917, population 2671 (2011c), 2812 (2006c). The Rural Municipality of Lac du Bonnet is located 100 km northeast of Winnipeg on Lac du Bonnet. A widening of the WINNIPEG RIVER, it is said to have been named by Pierre Gaultier de La Vérendrye in 1732 because the shape of the lake resembled a bonnet or hat. The more general explanation is based on a comment by Alexander Mackenzie, who noted that one of the portages was called "galet du bonnet." This refers to a custom of natives using the portage around the rapids. They placed stones in circles and then decorated the stones with leaves and branches; these structures looked like hats. The fur trade was the area's earliest economic activity. At the turn of the century a railway line was constructed to the Lac du Bonnet post, followed by the construction of hydroelectric power plants, sawmills and a brick plant.

The fur trade was the area's earliest economic activity. In the spring of 1898 a small mining boom took place with Lac du Bonnet developing where many stakes were claimed. At the turn of the century a railway line was constructed to the Lac du Bonnet post (now the town of Lac du Bonnet), followed by the construction of hydroelectric power plants, sawmills and a brick plant. European setters arrived in the early 1900s. Lac du Bonnet soon diversified into successful forestry, hydroelectric, agricultural and mining industries. With the municipality's numerous waterways and the close proximity to WINNIPEG, the area has become a favourite summer resort and many cottages are located in the municipality.