Dubawnt River, 842 km long, rises from a web of lakes in the Northwest Territories, 120 km northeast of Lake Athabasca, flows northeast, gathering the waters of Wholdaia, Boyd, Barlow, Nicholson, Dubawnt, Wharton and Marjorie lakes, and turns abruptly northwest to join the Thelon River at Beverly Lake. The Thelon flows on to Hudson Bay. The river was discovered by Samuel Hearne in 1770 and traversed by Joseph B. Tyrrell in 1893. Dubawnt Lake, icebound most of the summer, is just north of the treeline in the Barren Lands of Nunavut. The name Dubawnt is from the Chipewyan word tobotua, meaning "water shore," possibly in reference to water between the shore and ice in late spring.