Concordia University, in MONTRÉAL, Qué., was founded in 1974 by the merger of Sir George Williams University (SGWU) and Loyola College.
Concordia University, in MONTRÉAL, Qué., was founded in 1974 by the merger of Sir George Williams University (SGWU) and Loyola College. Loyola, originally the English section of the Jesuit Collège Sainte-Marie (established 1848), became a separate entity in 1896; SGWU evolved from the formal educational work of the Montréal YMCA and received its university charter in 1959. The new university started with five faculties: a merged Faculty of Commerce; a merged Faculty of Engineering; a SGW Faculty of Arts; a SGW Faculty of Science; and a Loyola Faculty of Arts and Science. In 1978 Concordia's five colleges in the Faculty of Arts and Science (Liberal Arts College, Lonergan College, School of Community and Public Affairs, Simone de Beauvoir Institute, and Science College) were founded to give students interdisciplinary options. Concordia still maintains these 2 campuses, one in downtown Montréal (SGWU) and one in its west end (Loyola).
Concordia offers undergraduate and graduate programs in 4 faculties: arts and science, commerce and administration, engineering and computer science, and fine arts. Undergraduate-level certificate programs are also offered in some areas, and diploma programs are available in many disciplines. Most undergraduate and graduate programs are open to part-time students, and about half the total student population attends part time.
The name of the university comes from th motto of the City of Montreal, "Concordia Salus," meaning "well-being through harmony," which has since become Concordia University's motto. It colours are maroon and gold.