Carcross, Yukon, Settlement, population 289 (2011c), 280 (2006c). Carcross is a major Tagnish and Tlingit community located at the north end of Bennett Lake, 74 km south of Whitehorse. The White Pass and Yukon Raliway pre-empted the townsite in 1898 and made it a stopping point on the line to Whitehorse. Originally Caribou Crossing, the name was changed (1904) to a combination of the 2 words to end confusion with places of the same name in Alaska and BC. William C. Bompas, who established a boarding school for Indigenous children here (1901), is buried at Carcross, as are Kate Carmack, "Skookum Jim" Mason and Tagish Charley, who were associated with the Klondike gold discovery.