Beaumont, Alberta, incorporated as a village in 1973 and as a town in 1980, population 13 284 (2011c), 8961 (2006c). The Town of Beaumont is located five km south of Edmonton. The name Beaumont refers to the hill upon which the town is built. This area was settled by French-speaking homesteaders in the 1890s. In 1895 the Roman Catholic church established St Vital Church at Beaumont and the first post office was opened. The current St Vital Church, a local landmark, was built in 1919. The community developed as a service centre for the surrounding agricultural area. In recent years the town has experienced some growth as a bedroom community for Edmonton and it is now primarily a residential community.