Amherstburg, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1878, population 21 556 (2011c), 21 748 (2006c). The Town of Amherstburg is located on Detroit River near Lake Erie. First settled 1784, it became the new base for the British after they evacuated Detroit. In 1796, Fort Amherstburg was established, and Loyalist refugees laid out a townsite (Malden). General Isaac Brock used the fort as a base to capture Detroit (1812), but it was under American occupation from 1813 to 1815. In 1837-38, the fort was attacked 4 times by rebel supporters of William Lyon Mackenzie and was bombarded by the schooner Anne, which later ran aground and was captured. The British garrison remained until 1851. By the late 1830s, the fort and the town were known by each other's names, Fort Malden and Amherstburg.

Today, secondary industries in the town include chemical and plastic manufacturing, and whiskey distilling. At Fort Malden National Historic Site (designated in 1921), original earthworks, stone buildings and a blockhouse have been restored. Christ Church and Belle Vue, a beautiful Georgian mansion, were both completed in 1819.

Another national historic site (designated in 1999), the fieldstone Nazrey African Methodist Episcopal Church (1848), is the centerpiece of the North American Black Historical Museum. The museum tells the story of Amherstburg's role as a terminus of the Underground Railroad and the town's black heritage. A community museum is housed in Park House, built in the 1790s in Detroit and moved from that community after it was ceded to the United States.