The iron ore deposits of western Labrador were first identified in 1892, but large-scale mining of the ore body did not take place until after World War II. In 1953, the Canadian Javelin Company purchased mineral rights in the area, and a subsidiary, Wabush Mines Ltd, was created to develop a mine. In 1960 a pilot plant was opened and in 1964 Wabush Mines began producing ore. The ore was shipped south on the QUÉBEC, NORTH SHORE AND LABRADOR RAILWAY.
Wabush is a planned community developed initially by Wabush Mines to house its employees. Its economic base remains mining, but improved road, rail and air connections to the area make the future of this community less tied to the health of the iron ore industry.
Author DEBORAH WELCH and MICHAEL PAYNE
Links to Other Sites
Atlantic Provinces Chambers of Commerce
The website for the Atlantic Provinces Chambers of Commerce (APCC), formerly the Maritime Board of Trade. Formed in 1896, this organization promotes and supports business and economic development in Atlantic Canada. Click on "Chambers" for links to local Chambers of Commerce.