Valley East was formed by the amalgamation of 3 agricultural and rural townships: Hanmer (founded in 1904), Capreol and Blezard (both founded in 1906). Capreol was annexed to Hanmer in 1967 and Hanmer and Blezard amalgamated in 1969 to form the township of Valley East. The town of Valley East was created 4 years later. It is primarily a residential community of Greater Sudbury and nearly one half of the population is French-speaking.
Author DEBORAH WELCH and MICHAEL PAYNE
Links to Other Sites
The official website for the City of Greater Sudbury, Ontario. Check out the "EarthCare Sudbury" section, a local program designed to the protect the Sudbury environment and enhance community life.