Témiscaming was for many years a COMPANY TOWN. Originally owned by the Riordon Company (1917-25), it was then directly administered by the Canadian International Paper Company (CIP) until the end of the 1960s. CIP had bought the town as well as the Kipawa Mills plant. Témiscaming's economy is still based on its paper mill, which is now owned by Tembec, a company set up by management and workers of the mill after the mill was shut down by CIP in 1972. In 1988 Témiscaming was amalgamated with the municipality of Letang (incorporated 1980) to form the present town.
Author BENOIT-BEAUDRY GOURD
Links to Other Sites
Lake Temiscamingue Fossil Centre
This web site highlights the themes and reserch sites of the Lake Timiskaming Fossil Center located in Notre-Dame-du-Nord, Quebec.
The official website for the Town of Temiscaming.
Power and Planning: Industrial Towns in Québec, 1890-1950
Presenting over 400 objects selected primarily from public and private collections in Québec, Power and Planning: Industrial Towns in Québec, 1890-1950 traces the creation and evolution of three communities built in Québec. From the Canadian Centre for Architecture.
An online guide to the history of the Abitibi-Témiscamingue region.