The first European settlers, primarily LOYALISTS, arrived from the US in 1786. The area was cleared for mixed farming and Stoney Creek attracted many saw and grain mills and other agricultural service activities. After the 1880s the area between Lake Ontario and the NIAGARA ESCARPMENT became a tender-fruit and grape-growing area, attracting packing and canning plants and wineries. Good communications with Hamilton, first by inter-urban railway and then by road, especially the QUEEN ELIZABETH WAY, have resulted in extensive residential, commercial and industrial development, all but obliterating the tender-fruit and grape lands.
Stoney Creek has a wonderful natural setting including the landscaped spine of the Niagara Escarpment, a World BIOSPHERE RESERVE, and the shores of Lake Ontario with marina access and numerous other recreational attractions. A park incorporates the site of the Battle of STONEY CREEK in the War of 1812. The now worldwide Women's Institutes originated here in 1897. (See FEDERATED WOMEN'S INSTITUTES OF CANADA.)
Author H.J. GAYLER
Links to Other Sites
The website for the Historica-Dominion Institute, parent organization of The Canadian Encyclopedia and the Encyclopedia of Music in Canada. Check out their extensive online feature about the War of 1812, the "Heritage Minutes" video collection, and many other interactive resources concerning Canadian history, culture, and heritage.
The City of Hamilton website offers information about municipal services, local attractions, and community events.
Battlefield House Museum
See an illustrated history of the Battle of Stoney Creek and other features related to the War of 1812. Also, click on "The People" (at the top of the page) for a brief account of how local resident Billy Green assisted the British forces during the War of 1812.