In 1824 Samuel BLACK of the HUDSON'S BAY COMPANY (HBC) crossed the headwater drainage of the Stikine. In 1838 Robert Campbell was sent by the HBC to open communication with its posts and shipping on the coast from the Mackenzie River, and was led by native guides to their great trading rendezvous at the Stikine-Tahltan confluence. Shortly afterwards the HBC acquired the Russian Fort Dionysius (now Wrangell) near the mouth of the Stikine. The discovery of gold near present-day Telegraph Creek in 1861 led to a minor gold rush and the establishment of a river steamer service.
For the next 100 years the Stikine was an important transportation route for penetration of the interior by non-natives. Traffic reached its peak in 1898, when thousands used the Stikine to reach the Klondike goldfields. Along with Dease Lake and river, the Stikine was an important water highway for transporting materials used in the construction of the Watson Lake airport (1941-43) of the NORTHWEST STAGING ROUTE.
Since the advent of airplane and highway access to the North, the Stikine is no longer a major route. The people of Telegraph Creek - the only town on the river - who are mostly Tahltans, and the people of Wrangell rely heavily on the salmon that ascend as far up as the impenetrable Grand Canyon. Although development of minerals and timber resources around the river and a potential massive hydroelectric scheme in the canyon could at any time change the river drastically, it remains essentially a scenic wilderness waterway increasingly used for recreation.
Author ROSEMARY J. FOX
Shawnadithit grew anxious waiting for her uncle, Longnon, to return to camp at the junction of Badger Brook and the Exploits River, deep in the wilds of Newfoundland...