Construction of the broad-gauge railway began in 1846, but was beset by financial troubles. The section from LONGUEUIL, Qué, to the Richelieu River was completed in Nov 1847 and the Canadian and American sections were joined in 1853 at Island Pond, Vermont. A ferry boat connected Montréal to the railhead at Longueuil. Upon completion the Canadian section was sold, and the American section leased, to the GRAND TRUNK RAILWAY.
See also RAILWAY HISTORY.
Author JAMES MARSH