The seigneury of Montarville was originally granted to Pierre Boucher de Boucherville Junior in 1710. The Boucherville family combined the last 6 letters of their name to the first 2 syllables of the French word for mountain (montagne). Settlement of the area was very slow, however, and in 1829 the seigneury was sold to François-Pierre Bruneau. His name was given to the Roman Catholic parish of Saint-Bruno, which was set up in 1842. When the area became a parish municipality in 1855, it combined the 2 names.
Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville is rich in architectural heritage, the most striking examples are the historic stone mill (1761) and the old presbytery (1851). The community is an important agricultural, residential and commercial centre with a large regional shopping area located along highway 30.
Author PIERRE LOUIS LAPOINTE Revised: CLAIRE POITRAS
Links to Other Sites
The official website for the City of Longueuil.