The name Ryerson Press was adopted 1919 in honour of its illustrious first editor, Egerton RYERSON. Lorne PIERCE assumed editorial control in 1920. He built up a profitable line of school texts and encouraged the careers of promising writers such as F.P. GROVE, Earle BIRNEY and Louis DUDEK.
The sale of the press by the United Church of Canada to the American company McGraw-Hill in 1970 caused consternation among those believing Canadian ownership essential to an independent BOOK PUBLISHING industry.
Author JAMES MARSH
Shawnadithit grew anxious waiting for her uncle, Longnon, to return to camp at the junction of Badger Brook and the Exploits River, deep in the wilds of Newfoundland...