Queen Elizabeth Way, connecting Toronto with Niagara Falls and Fort Erie, Ont, was Canada's first 4-lane, controlled-access superhighway. Using the latest concepts in streamlined design, the highway was built to overcome local traffic bottlenecks and to open the province to US motorists entering via the Peace Bridge at Fort Erie. Construction began in the early 1930s on the Toronto-Burlington section, first called the Middle Road. The highway was officially opened by Queen Elizabeth, queen consort of King George VI, at St Catharines, 7 June 1939. Four lanes of pavement were completed to Fort Erie in 1956.
ROBERT M. STAMP