. The name of the village is French and refers to a small rock off a headland that helps form a cove for the village. The first settlement in the area was by displaced ACADIANS
in 1755. In 1797 Charles Doucet, Jean Boudreau and Pierre Laplante left Nepisiguit (now Bathurst) to establish a new settlement. They supported themselves by farming, logging and fishing. The inshore fishery and fish processing dominated the local economy up until the 1960s. In recent years a zinc mine and paper mill in Bathurst, and a smelter in Belledune, have provided other sources of employment for residents of Petit Rocher. The Mines and Minerals Interpretation Centre of New Brunswick is located in Petit Rocher.
DEBORAH WELCH and MICHAEL PAYNE
Links to Other Sites
Atlantic Provinces Chambers of Commerce
The website for the Atlantic Provinces Chambers of Commerce (APCC), formerly the Maritime Board of Trade. Formed in 1896, this organization promotes and supports business and economic development in Atlantic Canada. Click on "Chambers" for links to local Chambers of Commerce.
Petit Rocher, NB, incorporated as a village in 1966, population 1908 (2011c), 1949 (2006c). The Village of Petit Rocher is located on Chaleur Bay near