The island is federal crown land but has been controlled by the Niagara Parks Commission since 1938. It was proposed as the site for a permanent United Nations headquarters in 1945 and then considered for a potential new highway route from the US across Grand Island to the QUEEN ELIZABETH WAY. Declared a wildlife and crown preserve in 1949, it is now rarely visited except for limited summer camping under permit. Access is solely by boat.
Author JOHN N. JACKSON
Links to Other Sites
Parks Canada: Management Plan
View the full text of the Parks Canada management plan for Fort George, Butler’s Barracks, Fort Mississauga, Navy Island, Queenston Heights, Mississauga Point Lighthouse, and the Battlefield of Fort George. Includes numerous maps and photographs of historic sites covered in this document.
Shawnadithit grew anxious waiting for her uncle, Longnon, to return to camp at the junction of Badger Brook and the Exploits River, deep in the wilds of Newfoundland...