A popular summer resort in the 1930s, Mount Pearl was developed as an urban centre along with neighbouring Glendale in the 1950s and incorporated as the town of Mount Pearl Park-Glendale in 1955 (3 years later renamed to Mount Pearl). A number of large subdivisions were built in the 1960s and the town grew as a dormitory community, which eventually included in its boundaries Newtown and Donovan's, a large industrial park. Its growth continued, leading it to become Newfoundland and Labradors third city in 1988. Apart from local services, Mount Pearl depends on light industry in its industrial parks for most of its commerce and employment. Since the late 1990s with the beginning of offshore oil production, servicing this industry has become an important aspect of the citys economy.
Author JANET E.M. PITT AND ROBERT D. PITT
Links to Other Sites
The website for the City of Mount Pearl. Click on Community Profile for an overview of local history.
Admiralty House Museum & Archives
The website for the Admiralty House Museum & Archives, a facility constructed in 1914 by the Marconi Telegraph Co. to serve as a wireless station for the British Royal Navy.
Atlantic Provinces Chambers of Commerce
The website for the Atlantic Provinces Chambers of Commerce (APCC), formerly the Maritime Board of Trade. Formed in 1896, this organization promotes and supports business and economic development in Atlantic Canada. Click on "Chambers" for links to local Chambers of Commerce.