L'Orignal was acquired in 1796 by Nathaniel Tredwell, a wealthy American from Plattsburg, NY. In 1812 when Tredwell refused to swear allegiance to the British Crown, his property was confiscated and he fled to the US. He returned in 1840, but meanwhile his son Charles had recovered it and sold it to some 100 settlers. The village was made capital of the new Ottawa district.
Preserved from its past are St Andrew's church (1832), a pioneering Presbyterian congregation and a fine example of Regency architecture. The District Court House and Jail (built 1821 and still in use) is the oldest remaining courthouse in Ontario. L'Orignal is a French-speaking alcove in a predominately anglophone region.
Author K.L. MORRISON