In 1943 Pidgeon was appointed professor and head of the dept of metallurgical engineering at the University of Toronto, a post he held until his retirement in 1969. There he built a strong graduate school in metallurgy of worldwide reputation. Although he was a chemist by background, his appreciation of the physics of metals led to the growth of physical metallurgy within his department. Under Pidgeon's leadership, the department expanded into materials science in 1965, thus catalyzing creation of a Materials Research Interdisciplinary Group within the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering. He was appointed an Officer of the Order of Canada.
Author J.M. TOGURI
Shawnadithit grew anxious waiting for her uncle, Longnon, to return to camp at the junction of Badger Brook and the Exploits River, deep in the wilds of Newfoundland...