Long frequented by native people, who hunted its shores and fished its waters, the lake was visited in 1615 by Samuel de CHAMPLAIN who was recruiting Huron allies for a campaign against the Iroquois. During the French regime it was part of a fur-trade portage route linking Georgian Bay to Lake Ontario. Originally known by the French as Lac Aux Claies, it was named by Lieutenant-Governor John Graves SIMCOE after his father. During the latter half of the 19th century, loggers proceeded north around Lake Simcoe and the area attracted summer vacationers from the growing cities of southern Ontario. The lake is part of the TRENT-SEVERN WATERWAY and a centre for recreational boating. Fishing for trout, whitefish and muskellunge has always been popular, especially today during the winter, through the ice.
Author DANIEL FRANCIS
Links to Other Sites
Four Directions Teachings
Elders and traditional teachers representing the Blackfoot, Cree, Ojibwe, Mohawk, and Mi’kmaq share teachings about their history and culture. Animated graphics visualize each of the oral teachings. This website also provides biographies of participants, transcripts, and an extensive array of learning resources for students and their teachers. In English with French subtitles.