Named Kentville in honour of Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, in 1826, the community thrived when the Windsor-Annapolis Ry (later Dominion Atlantic) established its headquarters there in 1868 and began shipping Annapolis Valley apples to British markets. Government facilities followed, including a militia installation at Camp Aldershot (1904) and the 183 ha Kentville Agricultural Research Centre (1910), which has been renovated and is now one of the most modern and sophisticated research centres in Canada. Although the British fruit market collapsed with WWI and trucking of freight replaced rail transport, Kentville has survived, remaining the area's financial, medical and government centre.
Author DEBRA MCNABB
Links to Other Sites
The official website for the Town of Kentville.
The website for the Municipal Government of Kings County.
The History of King's County
An online digitized copy of "The History of King's County." From the "Our Roots" website.
Atlantic Provinces Chambers of Commerce
The website for the Atlantic Provinces Chambers of Commerce (APCC), formerly the Maritime Board of Trade. Formed in 1896, this organization promotes and supports business and economic development in Atlantic Canada. Click on "Chambers" for links to local Chambers of Commerce.
Nova Scotia: Community Profiles
Search for statistical profiles of communities in the Province of Nova Scotia.
Shawnadithit grew anxious waiting for her uncle, Longnon, to return to camp at the junction of Badger Brook and the Exploits River, deep in the wilds of Newfoundland...