John Andrew Pearson, architect (b at Chesterfield, Eng 22 June 1867; d at Toronto 11 June 1940). Pearson, in partnership with Frank Darling, built up one of the most successful architectural practices in Canada. Trained at Sheffield, Pearson immigrated to Canada in 1888. In 1893 he was employed by Darling and Sproatt of Toronto and this firm, which became Darling and Pearson in 1893, endured until 1923. Darling and Pearson were best known for their bank designs and large office buildings designed in the grand classical manner of the École des beaux-arts. In 1916 Pearson designed with J. Omer MARCHAND
the new PARLIAMENT BUILDINGS
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, Toronto (old building). Architects York and Sawyer with Darling and Pearson, 1929-31. Like other tall buildings of the time, its tower is stepped back at the top. The arches and sculptures are in a Romanesque style (photo by William Dendy).
Links to Other Sites
The Parliament Buildings and Grounds
Scroll down to the description of “The Centre Block,” a prime example of “modern Gothic revival style” architecture.
The website for Parkwood Estate, a National Historic Site and former home to auto baron R. Samuel McLaughlin.
The Great Architects of Canada: Frank Darling and John A. Pearson
This site offers a retrospective look at the major projects designed by Canadian architects Frank Darling and John Pearson. From "History to the People."