The Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal was founded by Jeanne MANCE and funded by Madame de Bullion, the widow of one of Louis XIII's superintendents of finance. Mance began treating patients on her arrival in VILLE-MARIE [Montréal] in 1642; in 1644 the hospital was granted land outside the fort and in 1645 the building was completed. Mance ran the Hôtel-Dieu until her death in 1673, assisted in her latter years by the HOSPITALLERS OF ST JOSEPH (this order took over the hospital in June 1659 by letters patent of Louis XIV). Three times the building was destroyed by fire and rebuilt, and in 1861 the Hôtel-Dieu moved to its present site on Mont Ste-Famille, Montréal. It is affiliated with Université de Montréal as a teaching hospital.
Both groups of hospitallers later built other hospitals, including those at Tracadie, Chatham and Campbellton, NB; Kingston and Windsor, Ontario; at Chicoutimi, Arthabaska, Lévis and Gaspé, Québec (1884); at Winooski, Vermont; and in some mission countries.
Author MARCEL CADOTTE AND MICHEL THÉRIAULT
Links to Other Sites
This website honours Jeanne Mance, first lay nurse in North America and other exemplary Canadian women. Part of the "Celebrating Women's Achievements" series from Library and Archives Canada.
Hospital Architecture in Montreal
A historical overview of hospital architecture in Montreal. From McGill University.
Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal
A brief history of the Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal. From the webstie Les musées d'histoire de Montréal.
Musée des Hospitalières de l’Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal
Information page for the Musée des Hospitalières de l’Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal. From the website for the Société des directeurs des musées montréalais.
Shawnadithit grew anxious waiting for her uncle, Longnon, to return to camp at the junction of Badger Brook and the Exploits River, deep in the wilds of Newfoundland...