The town was named for Lord Goderich, British PM 1827-28. A trail chopped 97 km through the bush provided access in 1828. The town site was laid out 1829 with the idea that Goderich would become the entrepôt for the Canada Co's 400 000 ha Huron Tract.
The town has wide, tree-lined streets which radiate from a central octagonal square like the spokes of a wheel. Development fell short of expectations, and while the town became the terminus of a railway from Buffalo in 1858, it commanded only local trade. In 1866 the discovery of salt by a company drilling for oil gave Goderich a major industry. Since the 1870s it has remained stable, growing slightly with the development of the resort industry. The massive stones of the historic Huron County Jail (1839-42) contrast with its graceful design; the exercise yards are enclosed by an octagonal wall.
Author HUGH JOHNSTON
Links to Other Sites
Huron County Museum
The Huron County Museum in Goderich, Ont. has opened its doors to visitors from the world wide web.