The river has supported a salmon sport fishery and the basin makes up much of the range of the George River CARIBOU herd. Native occupation of the area is by MONTAGNAIS-NASKAPI Indian and LABRADOR INUIT. Moravian missionaries named the river for George III in 1811, but European exploration of the extent of the river was not made until John MCLEAN's attempt to establish a transportation route for the HBC from Fort Chimo to LakeMELVILLE. McLean first crossed the area in 1838, on the exploratory journey on which he discovered CHURCHILL FALLS.
Author IAN MACCALLUM
Shawnadithit grew anxious waiting for her uncle, Longnon, to return to camp at the junction of Badger Brook and the Exploits River, deep in the wilds of Newfoundland...