John Johnson and Joel Stone were granted land in the area but quarrelled over the site. A compromise in 1789 gave Johnson the best land E of the Gananoque R, but Stone remained a resident, built a sawmill and with the McDonald family developed the site. It was raided by American forces under Benjamin Forsyth, Sept 1812. From the 1830s metal industries have been important. As "Gateway to the Thousand Islands," it is a major tourist centre. There is a bridge to the US at Ivy Lea.
Links to Other Sites
The official website for the Town of Gananoque.
St. Lawrence War of 1812 Bicentennial Alliance
The latest news about upcoming community events commemorating the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812 in Eastern Ontario. Features local history and online archival material about the war. From the St. Lawrence War of 1812 Bicentennial Alliance.
Gananoque, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1890, population 5194 (2011c), 5285 (2006c). The Town of Gananoque is located at the confluence of the St Lawrence and Gananoque rivers, 29 km east of Kingston. The site was known in French times but was not surveyed until 1784.