The Oblates of Mary Immaculate founded a mission there in 1851, followed by the Anglicans in 1874. In 1898 the NWMP established a post and Treaty No 8 was signed there in 1899. The oldest continuously occupied settlement in Alberta, Fort Chipewyan became a focal point of Peace-Athabasca Delta Project studies after the construction of the W.A.C. Bennett Dam.
Inaccessible by road, the local community relies upon seasonal trapping and fishing, supplemented by employment in the nearby oil-sands plants and WOOD BUFFALO NATIONAL PARK. On 1 April 1995 the community was included in the amalgamation of the city of FORT MCMURRAY and ID No 143 (previously north and central parts of ID No 18) to form the regional municipality of WOOD BUFFALO.
Author JAMES M. PARKER
Links to Other Sites
Profiles of AlbertaFirst member communities provide important business, economic and lifestyle information to compliment the statistical information available for all communities.
Northwind Dreaming: The Peoples of Fort Chipewyan
This site chronicles the history of Fort Chipewyan, the location of ancient First Nations settlements and a former fur trading centre in the Athabasca region of Alberta. From Alberta’s Heritage Community Foundation.
Naming of Fort Chipewyan
Learn about the origin of the name of the historic community of Fort Chipewyan. From Alberta’s Heritage Community Foundation.
Archaeology: Fur Trade and Archaeology in Alberta
About the historical significance of fur trade archaeological sites in Alberta. From the website for the Royal Alberta Museum.
A biography of fur trader George Keith. From the Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online.