In 1925 the academy was chartered as Mount Saint Vincent College, the Commonwealth's only independent degree-granting women's college. Licentiate and degree courses were offered in performance and music education; Sisters Mary Ludovica, Mary Corona, and Margaret Young, successively, headed the music department. The first graduate in music, Mary Montague (Boyd), received a B MUS in 1928. The Armdale Chorus originated in the college in the 1930s. By 1962, when the college's lack of money and Dalhousie's expansion of music programs had forced the closure of the Mount's music department and degree program, 20 licentiates and degrees had been granted.
In 1966 the college became fully accredited as a university. In 1968 various short-term, co-operative agreements were signed with Dalhousie University, allowing students at both universities to take advantage of the facilities of each, and in 1982 this became a long-term arrangement. In 1973 a friendly association was formed with the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design and in 1982 another was formed with the Technical University of Nova Scotia. Despite the closure of the music department in 1966 a teacher of music has remained on the faculty, and music history has continued to be taught in the Fine Arts Dept, and creative arts for classroom teachers of music, art, drama, and movement in the Education Dept. Introduction to these same subjects is offered in the Child Study degree program.
Among the university's facilities are the theatre-in-the-round of the Seton Academic Centre and the three-manual Casavant organ in the chapel. Presentations have included such light musicals as Andrew Lloyd Webber's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and collaborations between John Alexander Brown (librettist) and Sister Margaret Young (music), including Raggedy Ann's Christmas (1975) and Alexander (1978), based on the life of Alexander Graham Bell. During 1978-9 three public performances were given by the Trio del Mar, artists-in-residence for that year only. A tribute to Helen Creighton titled 'The Collector' - a 90-minute musical based on Creighton's life, with a cast of 60 - was presented 28-30 Mar 1980 under the direction of Sister Margaret Young, who also directed 1973-80 an active student choir. In 1990 the choir's director was Mary Kelly. The Continuing Education Choir (also called the Seton Cantata Choir) was formed in 1985 under the direction of Ray Grant. Mount Saint Vincent University has conferred honorary degrees on Irene McQuillan Murphy (1982) and Agnes Grossmann (1991).
Author Mabel H. Laine, Margaret Young
Links to Other Sites
Mount Saint Vincent University
The official web site for Mount Saint Vincent University.
Shawnadithit grew anxious waiting for her uncle, Longnon, to return to camp at the junction of Badger Brook and the Exploits River, deep in the wilds of Newfoundland...