When Howard Brown arrived in 1967, no music courses were given. A BA with a minor in music was introduced then. In 1978 when the Dept of Music was established, a BA with a major in music was initiated, concentrating primarily on the history and literature of music. Starting in 1988, the university has offered music specialization with concentration in various fields: music history and literature, theory and composition, or performance. Summer training sessions have also been organized; intensive advanced courses in singing given as master classes with Carmen Mehta beginning in 1988 and the Camp musical de l'Estrie founded in 1990. Brown was replaced by Tom Gordon (1983-6, 1989-), and by John D. Eby (1986-9). In 1990-1, the teaching staff was made up of a professor emeritus, Howard Brown, three full-time teachers, John Eby, Tom Gordon, and Andrew MacDonald, three part-time teachers and thirteen lecturers. Among the examiners at different periods were John Bearder, G.F. Garrett, Albert Ham, and Healey Willan. Graham Godfrey and Herbert Sanders were among the teachers and occasional lecturers. In 1933 Ham received an honorary DCL from Bishop's. The University Singers, founded in 1977, were still active in 1991, as was a chamber choir founded in 1987. Also in 1977 the university sponsored a series of musical and other cultural events at the Centennial Theatre. In the spring of 1991, the department moved into new quarters in the Norton building (erected in 1898), which had been completely renovated and include a concert hall, four studios, classes, and an electroacoustic lab.
See also College Songs.
Gordon, T. 'Music in absentia: Bishop's faculty of music, 1886-1947,' Canadian University Music Review, vol 11:2, 1991
Shawnadithit grew anxious waiting for her uncle, Longnon, to return to camp at the junction of Badger Brook and the Exploits River, deep in the wilds of Newfoundland...