Mechanics' Hall (Montreal)/Salle des artisans, Montreal. An assembly or concert hall built in 1854 at the corner of St-Pierre and St-Jacques streets in Montreal. Emma Lajeunesse (Emma Albani
) made her debut there as singer, pianist, and harpist in 1856 and performed there again in 1862. It was there too that Calixa Lavallée
was billed in 1864 as piano, violin, and cornet virtuoso and performed in 1875 with Frantz Jehin-Prume
and Rosita del Vecchio shortly after his return from Paris. Jehin-Prume gave six 'classical chamber' concerts at the hall during the early months of 1871. The Montreal Philharmonic Society
presented its programs in this hall 1878-80, as did the Mendelssohn Choir 1876-80. The shifting of the population northwards and the construction of more spacious halls around Ste-Catherine Street led the Mechanics' Institute to convert the hall into a museum and reading room in 1885.
Béraud, Jean. 350 ans de théâtre au Canada français (Montreal 1958)
Links to Other Sites
The website for the Historica-Dominion Institute, parent organization of The Canadian Encyclopedia and the Encyclopedia of Music in Canada. Check out their extensive online feature about the War of 1812, the "Heritage Minutes" video collection, and many other interactive resources concerning Canadian history, culture, and heritage.