In 1958 Shadbolt began his teaching career at McGill University in Montréal. In 1961 he moved to Halifax to start a new architectural programme at Nova Scotia Technical College (now DALTECH). This was the first architectural program in Canada to alternate periods of study with periods of training in architectural offices. In 1968 he moved again, this time to Ottawa to begin a new and larger school of architecture at Carleton University. In 1978, with Professor Wim Gilles from Holland, he started an associated school of industrial design at Carleton.
In 1979 Shadbolt returned to his home province of BC, serving as director of the school of architecture at UBC from 1979 until his retirement in 1990, at which time he was named professor emeritus. In 1995 his biographical study of Ron THOM was published.
In 1987, Douglas Shadbolt was invested as an Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture Distinguished Professor, an award which recognizes sustained creative achievement in architectural education.
Author MICHAEL MCMORDIE
Links to Other Sites
The School with John Bland: 1950s
An article about prominent architects associated with the School of Architecture at McGill University.
Shawnadithit grew anxious waiting for her uncle, Longnon, to return to camp at the junction of Badger Brook and the Exploits River, deep in the wilds of Newfoundland...